Because Hemp Makes Everything Better‽
Full body Wii-Mote & Nunchuk modification. First in a series.
The Hemp-Mote & Nunchuk
100% natural hemp string on the outside (while remaining 100% functional on the inside).
A stark contrast to the original Nintendo Wii-Mote & Nunchuk; what was once a sleek, white and hard plastic controller has now become a slightly fuzzy, natural and textured concoction. No more bland, branded & boring but mottled, flawfull, rough and just a tad absorbing.
The Hemp-Mote is absolutely playable, all buttons, accelerometers and the infrared camera accounted for. Unfortunately its exterior is also quite fragile and prone to degeneration (as far as game controllers go), and being in this raw state makes it more of a show-case piece than a daily replacement.
»» Update: I’ve posted a tutorial where I show how I made the basic smaller Wii-Mote that’s underneath all this Hemp. See Wii-Mote Tutorial – part 1 & part 2 if you want to know how to build your own. ««
First the original Mote & Nunchuk needed to be whittled down to make a smaller form factor (so I wouldn’t end up with a very stocky mote).
Using saws and files I removed most of the hard plastic shelling, then rebuild the underlying shapes using modeling putty. After Smoothing out the results I gave the whole a quick coating of black paint ensuring eventual gaps wouldn’t stand out too much.
Tadaa, a base to wrap stuff around.
I then took out my ball of string and started wrapping. Unfortunately, to keep the string from unraveling /shifting, you have to rather painstakingly glue everything into place as you go… Oh joy.
First up was the wire connecting the Wii-mote to the Nunchuk, then any large areas lying below others. Round and round. And round. After these long unbroken string sections were done it was onto the detail work. Buttons, ridge guards, connectors, shaping each to fit the whole (all the while making sure the underlying mechanisms function smoothly. Test often).
Finally, In a move that might have severely altered the here shown pictures, I used a lighter to remove any fuzz and somewhat seal the hemp string closed. /caution
As mentioned before, the unprotected hemp is too sensitive to moisture and stress to handle normal/daily playing conditions (with anything but latex gloves). And taking into account that wearing gloves while playing would make the whole endeavour rather retarded, the Hemp-Mote will mostly enjoy a long life as a showcase model with the occasional demo game.
Coming up (as far as Wii-Mote mods are concerned) is a tutorial with accompanying “basics” mod. It goes into more detail about how this was done, and maybe help along some other modders. After that I’ll be playing with texture and looks for another mote or 2, before losing the plot a little later on.
For now though: more pics: