Mini-Mote and Nunchuk
Setting a lower bar on size.
Shaping the Wii-Mote Case.
Taking the base made in part 1 of this tutorial, I’ll now be using modeling clay/putty, filed down buttons, and a few salvaged pieces of plastic to rebuild a case for the Wii-Mote.
Note: Clay/putty used not that great, your area might have better available, something stronger/better/harder.
I apply the clay directly to the main board in some areas, covering it to shape it. This can’t be improving the lifespan of the Wii-Mote any but I don’t care. I won’t fill in everything, especially making sure the diodes towards the back port and the rumble node stay well cleared. Other than that though, do your worst.
And with that said:
It now officially looks like crap. I wanted to show this awful and easily skipped pic because getting here is somewhat logical/necessary. Using obviously too much clay and straying slightly outside of the intended lines guarantees you are left without gaps in your finished shape. May the evidence of my mess guide you onwards when confronted with a similar stage of grief.
Luckily the ugliness goes away easily enough when starting to file the extra off. Take a good long while here to smooth and shape every line.
The button holes need to be covered with sturdy, wear and tear proof form fitting shapes. What better material to use than the recycled holes from the original cover, all cut and filed down to small pieces holding just the buttons. I’ve also re-added a small piece of plastic that fits around the led lights.
With that it starts to look a whole lot better fast:
Shaping the Nunchuk.
At first I wanted to make the Nunchuk for this tutorial as small as possible. But play-testing that config was rather disappointing in the handling and looks department so now I’ll just make a (still smallest but not so much) streamlined companion to my new mote.
I’ll use bits of the old form to fashion the new. Playing around with assorted cut pieces from the original Nunchuk casing I came up with a scheme that feels quite good in the palm of your hand.
This was then covered in clay in much the same way as the mote, making sure not to block any of the moving parts while filling in the gaps. After it has completly dried use files to regain your intended shape. In the process I also used a bit of rubber wire casing to accentuate and protect the edges and palm-rest/grip but this is purely for looks.
If you are completely satisfied with your shapes, sanded and smoothed everything using finest grain and all, then this would be the stage to give them a paint job.
I’ll use modeling paint to make the base white and add a layer of varnish to keep it fresh.
Finally it’s time to get the buttons back into place. Again I reused the original materials since I want to keep the original look/art for this mod but if needed paint/reshape to fit your style. I’ve cut the tops from the buttons which made them shorter, then glued these in place on top of the rubber pads.
And with that I’m done. But not very creatively so. I made this Mini-Mote mod so simple and basic so I could better show you how to build your own variant, hopefully not how to make the exact same thing. The best part of making these is starting at the base and using unexpected materials or design to create something unique and new, not just a re-hash of the originals. Make something fun/weird that only you could have made instead.
For now though, I ended up with something like this:
The look is certainly not perfect, especially the paint looks and feels quite different from the original plastic, and makies it look less shiny, coarser. But that said I’m quite happy with how the Nintendo Wii-mote’s Mini-me turned out. It looks almost genuine when shot in a lightbox and strongly resembles the original Nintendo promotion materials. I wonder what it will look like next.
If you have any questions or comments leave a reply below the fold.